|Membership Qualifications Needed|
Full Membership.Full Members have full voting rights and may hold office at any level. Years of Full Membership accrue toward Emeritus status. Full Members may sponsor themselves or their students in NATSAA Competitions.
(1) 25+ years of age;
(2) person of known personal integrity;
(3) accept and abide by the Code of Ethics as stated on this form;
(4) teach an average of six or more voice students each week (each section of class voice equals one student); and
(5) meet one of the following : (Degrees must be appropriate to the teaching of singing.)
a. Bachelor's degree + three years voice teaching/coaching after receipt of degree.
b. Master's degree or doctorate + two years voice teaching/coaching after receipt of degree.(experience as a graduate teaching assistant in voice may fulfill the teaching /coaching requirement)
c. Professional singers or accompanists who teach but do not have degrees as described in a & b: four years experience as a professional singer or coach + teaching voice/coaching for two years after the four years of experience. If you are applying under this option, please attach a resume.
d. Others without degrees as described in a & b: four years of private voice study + five years of voice teaching/coaching following the four years of private instruction.
Associate Membership. Associate Members are beginning teachers of singing whose training and/or teaching experience does not yet qualify them for Full Membership. Associate Members have full power of vote but may hold office only at the chapter level. Associate Members may sponsor themselves or their students in NATSAA Competitions. Years of Associate Membership do not accrue toward Emeritus Membership status.
(1) 22+ years of age;
(2) person of known personal integrity; and
(3) accept and abide by the Code of Ethics as stated on this form.
Affiliate Membership. Affiliate Membership is open to:
(1) individuals in fields related to the teaching of singing;
(2) institutions such as colleges, schools, or universities; or
(3) business firms associated with music.
Affiliate Members are welcome at all NATS events but are not eligible to vote or hold office at any level. Affiliate Members may not sponsor themselves or their students in NATS Competitions and years of Affiliate Membership do not accrue toward Emeritus Membership status.
Emeritus Membership.Emeritus members are not required to pay Association dues; however, they will be charged a publications fee to receive the Journal of Singing and Inter Nos. Emeritus Members may not hold office at the national, regional, or district levels, but may hold chapter office and may vote.
(1) 68+ years of age;
(2) full member in good standing for at least 20 years; and
(3) request this status from the Executive Director.
"It's an exciting time to be a NATS member. While other professional associations are cutting back on member services for voice teachers, NATS keeps adding benefits and partnerships for members and students. I'm excited about the new music theater competition, the Orlando conference, and the partnership with Carnegie Hall - The Achievement Program - to mention a few. To borrow Joan Boytim'a phrase, I'm more 'nuts about NATS' than ever!" -Cynthia Vaughn, proud NATS member since 1984