Students can now become members of NATS and partake in many of the benefits that their teachers enjoy!
Mentoring and serving students is at the heart of the NATS mission. We are dedicated to the development of lifelong learning beginning at the student level and continuing through professional employment. It is in this spirit that NATS has a student membership category available. We enthusiastically welcome students to become part of a community of friends and colleagues who all seek the same goal: excellence in teaching and singing.
Students pursuing a career in singing, teaching singing, or collaborative piano, who are enrolled full-time in undergraduate or advanced university studies.
(NATS may request a verification of your full-time student status).
Must be applying as a new member. Affiliate, Associate or Full members may not revert to Student Members of NATS.
Student members receive nearly all the benefits of full membership for a fraction of the price. The only limitation is that student members my not enter their own students in adjudications. As a student member of NATS, you’ll receive the following benefits:
- Education: access to lifelong learning experiences such as master classes, workshops, and conferences, held at the district, regional, and national levels, often at a discounted rate;
- NATS Job Center: online access to employment opportunities for positions currently available at colleges and universities across the United States and Canada;
- Journal of Singing: digital access to the leading academic journal on the voice. Published five times annually, this scholarly journal features articles on all aspects of singing and the teaching of singing, written by distinguished scholars from around the world;
- Intermezzo e-newsletter: a weekly compilation of news clips about the singing profession delivered to each member’s inbox;
- Inter Nos: a semiannual electronic publication distributed in February and September that keeps the profession up to date on what NATS is doing nationwide and around the world;
- NATS Chats: live online discussions for voice teachers and singers. Topics vary widely and have included classical and non-classical vocal technique, vocal repertoire, teaching strategies, business strategies for private studio teachers, resources for university teachers, and arts advocacy. Guests have included prominent teachers, authors, composers, and artists;
- Members-only Facebook group: exclusive access to a NATS members-only Facebook group for discussion and conversation with colleagues, students and other voice professionals from around the world;
- Networking: NATS events (chapter, district, regional and national) provide a great opportunity to connect with other members, many of whom are active in performance as well, and have invaluable contacts in the professional worlds of both singing and teaching. Additionally, student members can participate in and search through our online Membership Directory to help you connect with other members locally and across the world
Student Member ($46.00) Credit card payment will be required at the end of the application before it can be submitted for review.
Student NATS (SNATS) Chapters
In addition to being involved with a local NATS chapter, Student NATS members may also affiliate with a local Student NATS (SNATS) chapter, an organization of students that can hold meetings, workshops, and discussion groups to learn more about all aspects of singing. Chapters are formed at the college, university, conservatory or independent teacher level. Click HERE to find out more about Student NATS (SNATS) Chapters. A student membership in NATS, coupled with membership in a local SNATS chapter, is a powerful way to advance your career development.