So You Want to Sing Spirituals: A Guide for Performers
Chapters 4-7 Chapter 8 Chapters 9-11 Chapters 12-14 - Appendices
Chapter 1 – What Are Spirituals?
Chapter 2 – From Cotton Field to Concert Hall
Chapter 3 – Pioneers of the Concert Spiritual
- “A Century of Negro Spirituals for Solo Voice” (slideshow)
- Harry T. Burleigh: “Go Down, Moses,” performed by Harry T. Burleigh
- Lawrence Brown: “Joshua Fit de Battle ob Jericho,” performed by Paul Robeson
- Roland Hayes: “Hear de Lambs-a-Cryin’,” performed by Roland Hayes
- Moses Hogan: “Wade in the Water,” performed by Barbara Hendricks
- Spirituals Video Playlist
- Harry T. Burleigh: “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,” performed by Roland Hayes
- Edward Boatner: “Trampin’,” performed by Marian Anderson
- Lawrence Brown: “Every Time I Feel de Spirit,” performed by Paul Robeson
- R. Nathaniel Dett: “I’m Goin to Tell God All My Troubles,” performed by Dorothy Maynor
Chapter 4 – Song Literature
- IPA Source
- Jubilee Songs: As Sung by the Jubilee Singers of Fisk University
- Recorded Sound Archives
- Eva Jessye: “I’m a Po’ Li’l Orphan,” performed by Marti Newland
- Hall Johnson: “Give Me Jesus,” performed by Vinson Cole
- Traditional: “Steal Away to Jesus,” performed by Adele Addison
- Roland Hayes: “Lit’l David, Play on Your Harp,” performed by Roland Hayes
- Harry T. Burleigh: “My Lord, What a Mornin’,” performed by Paul Robeson
- Shawn Okepebholo: “Ev’ry Time I Feel the Spirit,” performed by Will Liverman
- Lawrence Brown: “I Know the Lord’s Laid His Hand on Me,” performed by Marian Anderson
- William Dawson: “Ezekiel Saw the Wheel,” performed by the Tuskegee Institute Choir
Chapter 5 – Using Dialect in Performance
Chapter 6 – Must You Be Black to Sing Spirituals?
Chapter 7 – Collaborating with Pianists (Casey Robards)
Chapter 8 – African American Art Song (Emery Stephens & Caroline Helton)
Library Collections (archival photocopies of compositions by African Americans):
African American Classical Music Resources:
Chapter 9 – Black Spiritual Art Song: Interpretive Guidelines (Barbara Steinhaus)
Chapter 10 – Choral Arrangements of Spirituals (Patricia J. Trice)
Chapter 11 – Spirituals: America’s Contribution to World Sacred Music (Tim Sharpe)
Chapter 12 – Gaining Perspective: A Linguistic Approach to Dialect (Felicia Barber)
Chapter 13 – Singing and Voice Science (Scott McCoy)
Chapter 14 – Vocal Health for Singers (Wendy LeBorgne)
Appendices – Relevant Resources
Appendix 1 - Recommended Recordings
A selection of recordings recommended for those beginning a collection of concert spirituals for solo voice.
Appendix 2 - Concert Spiritual Singers and Their Recordings
A sample of singers, arranged by voice type, and their recordings of concert spirituals.
Appendix 3 - Spirituals in Musical Anthologies
Lists availability of spiritual music scores: print publishers, online databases and publishers, self-publishing composers, online resellers, as well as selected musical scores, including compilations containing concert spirituals for solo voice.
Appendix 4 - Song Literature Classification
Concert spirituals classified by category with scriptural reference(s) and entry in musical anthologies.
Appendix 5 - Relevant Resources
Resources specifically about Negro spirituals or that reference performers, composers or other information related to spirituals
Appendix 6 - African-American Art Songs Resource List
Print and online resources related to African-American art songs
Appendix 7 - Composers Brief Biographies
Lists short biographies – with score and recordings information – of composers of concert spirituals for solo voice.
Appendix 8 - Art Songs by African American Composers in Musical Anthologies
Lists availability of art songs by African American composers and selected musical scores and compilations.
Appendix 9 - Spirituals in Choral Music Anthologies
Lists availability of concert spirituals in compilations for choral ensembles: mixed voices, women’s voices, men’s voices, and children’s voices, as well as unison, two-part, equal, or unspecified voices vocal forces.
Expanded General Index
An expanded index for So You Want to Sing Spirituals that includes contents from both the print book and the online appendices.
A song index for So You Want to Sing Spirituals, which includes contents from both the print book and the online appendices.