June 25 - July 1, 2023
Utah State University, Logan, UT
Led by master voice pedagogy teachers Lynn Helding and John Nix and joined by guest faculty, the NATS Science-Informed Voice Pedagogy Institute will train enrollees in the application of current voice science to their teaching, whether in the studio or the classroom. The intensive six-day course is structured around the traditional pillars of voice science, as well as the newest addition to science-informed pedagogy, cognitive science.
- The Motor: Skeletal Alignment and Respiration
- The Source: Phonation
- The Resonator: Acoustics
- The Snake Pit: Registration
- The Message-Maker: Articulation
- The Brain: The application of cognitive science and motor learning research to voice pedagogy.
Training sessions will consist of traditional lectures, seminars, master classes, open forums, and demonstration teaching by attendees, and will be inspired by clear goals and outcomes.
By the end of the institute, enrollees should:
- Possess both an historic and practical understanding of the three pillars of voice science: physiology, vocal tract acoustics, and cognition.
- Be able to define science-informed voice pedagogy and articulate its importance and value in 21st century voice training.
- Know the existent science-informed voice pedagogy resources and how to access them.
- Be both prepared and equipped to refresh their own course content and align course objectives with the new NATS science-informed pedagogy resources. Attendees will leave equipped with resources to advocate for curricular change at their institutions.
- Commit to a future in which every voice student is assured that they will be educated in a common foundation of science-informed voice pedagogy knowledge upon which to build.
While the NATS Science-Informed Pedagogy Institute is designed for those teaching voice pedagogy at the collegiate level, it is open to all voice professionals keen to heighten their knowledge base to be truly “science-informed,” whether in the classroom or the studio.
Registration fee: $895
Housing and meal package: $498 (includes 2 meals per day and suite style housing with private bedroom)
Registration is limited.
All participants will receive a certificate of completion.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
NATS Refund and Cancellation Policy for Workshops and Conference Events: Cancellation requests for registration will be honored through April 15, 2023. The NATS Executive Office must be notified of your intention to cancel in writing at the following address: 9957 Moorings Drive, Suite 401, Jacksonville, FL 32257, or by email (email@example.com). Notice may also be sent by fax to 904-262-2587. Refunds cannot be applied to subsequent workshops, conferences or membership dues and will be issued after the event has concluded. Cancellations are not accepted by phone; they must be in writing.
All refunds are subject to an administrative fee of $75.00 USD. No refunds will be made after the deadline of April 15, 2023. Because NATS arranges all the logistics based on the number of registrants at the time of the online registration cut-off date and commits to pay for those services, we are unable to grant any refunds after the cancellation deadline.