This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: College/University
State/Province: Saratoga Springs, NY
Position: Lecturer - Choral Director, Department of Music
Deadline: August 4, 2021
Posted: June 22, 2021
Job Description / Duties
Choral Director: The Skidmore College Music Department invites applications for a two-year, full-time appointment as Lecturer and Choral Director. We seek an energetic, caring, and musically sophisticated conductor and teacher to lead an established and thriving liberal arts choral program. In particular, we seek applicants who can not only teach traditional classical choral ensembles, but are open to the formation of new vocal ensembles that focus on contemporary commercial styles including but not limited to jazz, pop, gospel, etc. Responsibilities include directorship of a 100+-voice town-gown Community Chorus and a smaller, select Vocal Chamber Ensemble. Other duties would include classroom teaching (e.g., music fundamentals, aural skills, class voice). The Department is especially interested in candidates whose teaching experience, goals, and approaches will support and contribute to the growing diversity of our academic community and help foster an inclusive community in which all students are able to find themselves represented. Individuals from underrepresented groups, or with experience teaching students from diverse backgrounds, are especially encouraged to apply.
Review of applications: will begin on 6/15 and will continue until the position is filled. Questions may be referred to Jeff Segrave (Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skidmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college of approximately 2700 students from some 47 states and 46 countries. With its relatively small size and 9:1 student-to-faculty ratio, the College is a close-knit academic community; its faculty of teacher-scholars are devoted to the instruction and mentoring of undergraduates. Housed in the renowned Arthur Zankel Music Center, the Music Department embodies the best of Skidmore’s rich artistic heritage.
Qualifications / Required Skills
· D.M.A. or ABD in choral music (or a related field) preferred;
· Prior experience in choral conducting preferably at the collegiate level;
· Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching;
· Evidence of a commitment to undergraduate liberal-arts teaching;
· Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to pedagogical methods that enable students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential.
Required Support Documents:
· Letter of application that addresses the position qualifications;
· Curriculum vitae;
· A brief (one page) statement of teaching philosophy;
· A brief (one page) statement describing past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion
· Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable); and
· The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address teaching experience and teaching effectiveness; please indicate the teaching reference in your letter of application). Please do not ask references to submit letters of recommendation; the committee will conduct reference checks by phone.
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.
Salary: commensurate on experience