This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: College/University
The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts seeks one or more vocal coaches/staff accompanists for part-time adjunct (limited term) positions in its VoiceArts Program. Qualified candidates will be artist-teachers with significant expertise in experimental and contemporary art music and interdisciplinary work, with skill in more traditional vocal repertoire, and will be committed to regularly working alongside students in performance. The VoiceArts Program at CalArts facilitates the evolution of artists who seek to be distinctive and expressive makers of original art, as well as those who wish to explore already existing vocal music in new ways. Students are expected to explore new ideas and arenas, to develop critical perspectives that lead to creative performance of new or existing works, and to reflect on contemporary and historical traditions and perspectives from around the globe. Self-generated projects and performances, as well as collaborative work play an important role in each student’s program, and thus those hired will be expected to work with students toward accomplishing these events.
Duties may include:
• Giving individualized instruction and/or teaching courses in the VoiceArts program as needed, including in vocal repertoire, style and performance coaching; foreign language diction; contextualization skills; and/or in emerging subjects;
• Coaching and rehearsing vocal music being prepared for performance, including contemporary and experimental art music and interdisciplinary projects, as well as more traditional art song and operatic repertoire;
• Rehearsing and playing for VoiceArts Program events, including a regular schedule of student recitals and projects, auditions, program-wide concerts, etc. These events may include those of a more collaborative and/or experimental nature;
• Overseeing projects and student work at DMA, MFA and BFA levels;
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills necessary for coordinating the VoiceArts program’s piano needs, and potentially piano needs for student instrumentalists as well.
Accomplished Artist-Teacher with significant expertise in experimental and contemporary art music and/or interdisciplinary work, with skill in more traditional vocal repertoire.
• Master of Music degree required.
• Flexibility in candidates’ ability to schedule work hours on campus will be considered.
Applications should include:
● Letter describing professional background, artistic and educational philosophies,
● Detailed curriculum vitae,
● Names and contact information for three professional references
● List of courses or subject areas previously taught or within the candidate’s ability to teach and any related administrative experience.
● Links to performances
Do not send work samples at this time.
Audition/Interview: Applications will be evaluated by program faculty, and supporting materials may be requested from selected candidates. A short list of finalists may be invited to CalArts for interviews and and presentations. Application screening will begin immediately, and the position(s) will remain open until filled. The anticipated start date is January 2019. Applications should be submitted via email as PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org with Vocal Coach/Staff Accompanist in the subject line.
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its students with the hands-on training and exposure necessary for an artist’s growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees in all areas of visual and performing arts. The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts offers BFA and MFA Programs in Music with Specializations in Performer-Composer, Composition and Experimental Sound Practices, Jazz, InstrumentalArts (all standard instruments), VoiceArts and Music Technology: Interaction, Intelligence and Design. World Music Performance and Musical Arts/Experimental Pop Specializations are also offered on the BFA level. African Music and Dance, Indonesian Music and Dance, North Indian Music and World Percussion Specializations are also offered on the MFA level. Finally, a unique DMA Performer-Composer Program brings very advanced practitioners into this community of artists. The school supports curriculum integration among these programs. Certificate and Advanced Certificate pathways are also available. See website for further information about the Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts: http://music.calarts.edu/.