Online applications for the 2016 National Music Theater Competition – the national competition for the emerging music theater soloist – are now being accepted. The competition is open to singers age 20-28 as of March 1, 2016.
A few competition specifics:
- Applicants can submit audition materials online or audition at one of three live locations.
- All application materials must be submitted by March 1, 2016; applicants auditioning online have until May 15 to upload preliminary-round videos.
- In addition to being held online, preliminary rounds will also take place at three locations: the Manhattan School of Music in New York City (May 21); Roosevelt University in Chicago (May 21); and in Los Angeles at Cal State University-Fullerton (May 15).
- Semifinal and final rounds will take place at the NATS National Conference in Chicago, July 8-9. Approximately 24 singers will advance to the semifinal round.
- The preliminary round will comprise three contrasting music theater selections exclusively from Broadway and Off-Broadway original shows and revivals.
- Application fee is $90 ($75 for students of NATS members).
- Judges at all rounds will include casting agents and managers from the top agencies in the industry in addition to veteran performers, coaches and teachers.
- 1st Prize is $5,000 plus a concert at the next NATS National Conference, a $1,000 Gift Certificate from Hal Leonard Corporation and a Career Management Services package from Stage Door Access; 2nd Prize is $2,500 plus a $500 Gift Certificate from Hal Leonard Corporation; 3rd Prize is $1,000.
For more details on the National Music Theater Competition, and to apply, click here.