The 2016 NATS National Conference, held July 8-12 in Chicago, will feature several major Master Class sessions. Self-recommendations or recommendations of students to participate in the sessions are welcome. Deadline for Master Class recommendations is May 1, 2016.
This year’s Master Class sessions will include:
• Opening Master Class with Stephen Smith: Four singers at any level. Required repertoire: operatic arias or song literature; one must be in English.
• Master Class with Renée Fleming: Four singers who are young professionals. Required repertoire: operatic arias or song literature.
• Master Class with Warren Jones: Three singer/pianist duos who are young professionals. Required repertoire: song literature only; one must be in English.
• Stepping on Stage: Casting in the East, Midwest and West: Two singers who are ready to audition at a national-level, are eligible to apply. Singers must have three music theater selections prepared. Participants in this class will present a live audition for a panel of experts for their critique and commentary. Panelists will select specific repertoire to be performed from the singer’s list at the time of the audition.
• Coaching with Warren Jones: One coach who will bring a singer to coach in an open session with Warren Jones. Mr. Jones will work with both individuals and discuss effective coaching.
• Pre-Conference Workshop - Pop/Rock Vocalism for the Music Theater Singer Part 1: Up to seven singers who will prepare a 16 bar cut of songs in one of the following styles: Motown, 70s Folk/Rock, Disco, 80s Pop Rock, Contemporary Pop/Hip-Hop, Rock/Punk, and Faerie (Regina Specter, Rufus Wainwright). Sheri Sanders will work on capturing the essence of the vocal styling in each of these styles, and how it relates to the synthesis of voice, body and emotion.
• Pre-Conference Workshop - Pop/Rock Vocalism for the Music Theater Singer Part 2 : Melissa Cross will work with up to four singers. Singers should prepare two pop/rock music theater selections.
To recommend a Master Class participant – whether a student or yourself -- click here to complete the online application: http://www.nats.org/cgi/page.cgi/master_class_form.html
Be sure to note the requirements for each session and complete all required fields in order to complete a recommendation. All applicants must provide an audio sample of appropriate repertoire, maximum 4 minutes (MP3 is the preferred audio format).
For more information on the 54th NATS National Conference, click here.