NATS Intern Program Application Requirements
View Intern Program Description
VOICE Intern Application Requirements
A voice intern applicant must be a member of NATS (full or associate) in good standing with less than 5 years of full-time teaching, or coaching/collaborative work, or the part-time equivalent. Working as a graduate teaching assistant does not count toward the 5-year limit. Holding a master's degree or higher, OR commensurate experience/training is required.
COLLABORATIVE PIANO Intern Application Requirements
A collaborative piano applicant does not have to be a NATS member, but membership is required if accepted into the program. Applicants should be early-career collaborative pianists with less 5 five years of full-time collaborative work/teaching/coaching or the part-time equivalent. Working as a graduate teaching assistant does not count toward the 5-year guideline. Holding a master's degree or higher, OR commensurate experience/training is required.
All applications must be completed online at NATS.org, including submission of any and all materials by midnight on December 15, 2022.
- Complete the online application form (APPLY ONLINE). This is a multi-section form, so click "SAVE" at the bottom of each section to complete the entire application.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: You will upload a resume/curriculum vitae.
- References: Provide the name, email address and phone number of two individuals who will provide references. One of the letters should come from a NATS member in good standing or a singer with whom you have collaborated. Once your application is fully submitted references will automatically be contacted to submit a recommendation letter through the application system. It is always a good idea to follow up by personal e-mail to alert the member that an official request will be forthcoming from NATS and that their recommendations are due on or before December 15.
- Voice Lesson/Coaching Video: Submit a video recording, no more than 15 minutes in duration, of a sample voice lesson taught by the voice teacher applicant or coaching with singer(s) by the collaborative pianist applicant. This video may be an edited excerpt from a longer video. Voice teacher applicants should include both technical and repertoire work with student.
- Philosophy Statement: Upload a statement (3-5 paragraphs) addressing the applicant's philosophy of collaborative work with singers and motivation for participating in the program.
- Performance Video: Submit 4 selections meeting the following criteria:
a. Video recordings only are accepted.
b. All recordings must be posted s an unlisted YouTube video (see instructions below)
c. Repertoire representing your area(s) of expertise should fit the following criteria:
i. At least one selection must be in English
ii. At least one selection must be in another language if you teach or sing in foreign languages
iii. At least one selection must be outside the classical canon
iv. At least one classical selection
v. Voice Intern Applicants: At least one selection must be with live piano accompaniment
vi. Collaborative Piano Applicants: All selections must be with keyboard accompaniment (YOU) (piano, harpsichord, organ, digital piano). Recordings may include a variety of singers.
vii. QUESTIONS about your recording selections should be directed to Carole Blankenship – firstname.lastname@example.org
- High-Resolution Headshot: Please upload a PNG or JPEG and it should be less than 11 MB in size.
How To Upload Video for Private Sharing (YouTube)
We understand that you may not want to share your audition files with the general public. Many video sharing websites allow you to upload your media and make it accessible only to those with the link. While we can not provide technical support for these sites, we hope that these simple steps may be sufficient to familiarize yourself with the options on YouTube.
- After logging in to your YouTube account, click on the Upload link (in the upper left corner of the screen).
- Click on Upload Video.
- As your video is being uploaded, select Unlisted from the Privacy section under Video information and privacy settings.
- Click Save Changes.
- The privacy settings can be changed at any time.
- Get more help with uploading videos to YouTube.