NATS Intern Program Application Requirements
VOICE Intern Application Requirements
A voice intern applicant must be a member of NATS (full or associate) in good standing with no more than five years of full-time teaching, or coaching/collaborative work, or the part-time equivalent. Working as a graduate teaching assistant does not count towards the five-year limit. Holding a Master's Degree or higher OR commensurate experience is required.
COLLABORATIVE PIANO Intern Application Requirements
A collaborative piano applicant does not have to be a NATS member (although preference is given to those who are), but membership is required if accepted into the program. Applicants should be at the beginning of their careers with no more than approximately five years of full-time collaborative work/teaching/coaching or the part-time equivalent. Working as a graduate teaching assistant does not count towards the five-year guideline. Holding a Master's Degree or higher OR commensurate experience is required.
All applications must be completed online at NATS.org, including submission of any and all materials by midnight on December 15, 2021.
- Complete the application form (APPLY ONLINE), which will include the upload of a resume.
- Provide the name, email address and phone number of two individuals who will provide references. One of the letters should come from a NATS member in good standing or a singer with whom you have collaborated. Once the information is submitted references will automatically be contacted to submit a recommendation letter through the application system. It is always a good idea to follow up by personal e-mail to alert the member that an official request will be forthcoming from NATS and that their recommendations are due by December 15, 2021.
- Submit a video recording, no more than 15 minutes in duration, of a sample voice lesson taught by the voice teacher applicant or coaching with a singer by the collaborative pianist applicant. This video may be an edited excerpt from a longer video. Voice teacher applicants should include both technical and repertoire work with student.
- A brief statement (3-5 paragraphs) addressing the applicant's philosophy of collaborative work with singers and motivation for participating in the program, which will be uploaded through the application portal at NATS.org.
- Submit 4 selections meeting the following criteria:
a. Video recordings are strongly preferred; audio recordings are acceptable.
b. All recordings must be posted to a website, such as YouTube, that is accessible to the selection committee through a web link(s). Only weblinks will be accepted. (NO CD, DVD, or cassette recordings will be accepted)
c. Repertoire should fit the following criteria:
i. Represent your area(s) of expertise
ii. At least one piece must be in English
iii. At least one piece must be in another language if you teach or sing in foreign languages
iv. At least one piece must be non-classical
v. At least one piece must be classical
vi. Voice Intern Applicants: At least one piece must be with live piano accompaniment
vii. Collaborative Piano Applicants: All pieces must be with keyboard accompaniment (YOU) (piano, harpsichord, organ, digital piano). Recordings may include a variety of singers.
viii. QUESTIONS about your recording selections should be directed to Karen Brunssen – firstname.lastname@example.org
How To Upload Video for Private Sharing (YouTube)
We understand that you may not want to share your audition files with the general public. Many video sharing websites allow you to upload your media and make it accessible only to those with the link. While we can not provide technical support for these sites, we hope that these simple steps may be sufficient to familiarize yourself with the options on YouTube.
- After logging in to your YouTube account, click on the Upload link (in the upper left corner of the screen).
- Click on Upload Video.
- As your video is being uploaded, select Unlisted from the Privacy section under Video information and privacy settings.
- Click Save Changes.
- The privacy settings can be changed at any time.
- Get more help with uploading videos to YouTube.